Welcome to the FRA Junior Championship
This section contains the official FRA Junior Championship points tables and archive.
Please note that the calendar and rules information is published as a supplement to the official Fell Runners Association Limited website
, which is the definitive source of all championship information, and should always be refered to.
Other sites also publish information, which may or may not be accurate and kept up to date, but the same advice applies.
FRA Guidelines and Rules:
It is strongly recommended that parents, guardians, coaches, and competitors read the following FRA documents.
- Rules for Competition.
- Safety Requirements.
- Welfare Policy.
- They are available for download from the FRA website.
Those runners interested in competing at international level should read the following information.
Official full rules, regulations, and lists of awards for the 2014 FRA English Junior Championship can be found in the 2014 FRA Handbook, which is available to FRA members
The following extracts are only for the convenience of entrants, and should not be used as the basis for any dispute or protest.
The following definitions apply to the FRA English Junior Championship races.
Age groups are based on the competitor's age on 1st January 2014
- Under 12 and over 10 Boys and Girls - born between 2/1/2002 and 1/1/2004. (3 Km)
- Under 14 and over 12 Boys and Girls - born between 2/1/2000 and 1/1/2002. (5 Km)
- Under 16 and over 14 Boys and Girls - born between 2/1/1998 and 1/1/2000. (7 Km)
- Under 18 and over 16 Boys and Girls - born between 2/1/1996 and 1/1/1998. (10 Km)
This makes a total of eight age categories.
- Age on day of race determines the maximum race distance for junior (6 years - 17 years) runners in all FRA permitted and insured junior and senior races. (See FRA Rules for Competition).
- Any breach of Rule 10 (UKA Rule 410) by an organiser and/or junior runner may result in formal disciplinary action by the FRA acting on behalf of UKA.
- This rule does not define and never has defined age groups. It only states maximum permitted distances.
Therefore the change has no effect on the organisation of junior races, but makes eligibility clearer for senior races.
- As before, an organiser of non championship junior races may use any criteria to define age groups, provided the youngest potential runner in each race does not exceed their maximum permitted distance.
However, the majority of organisers choose to align their races with the championship age group rules above.
- All competitors must register with the FRA Junior Co-ordinator by completing in full the race entry form at championship rounds.
- The first 49 competitors in each age category will score points towards the age category championship; 50 for 1st, 48 for 2nd, 47 for 3rd, 46 for 4th, ...., 1 for 49th.
- Points are allocated according to the positions (not times) in the final race results.
- If there is a tie on position in a race then both runners will be allocated the same points for the relevant position e.g. 4th= receives 46 points.
- Up to the best 4 scores from the 7 selected races will count towards the final positions.
- The competitor with the highest cumulative score from her/his best 4 scores from the 7 championship races will be the winner.
The following races may be held at each championship round, and are intended to act as an introduction to fell running.
- Infant Races:
- 06/04/14 - Pendle
- 19/04/14 - Rivington
- 05/05/14 - Coiners
- 31/05/14 - West Nab
- 07/06/14 - Turner Uphill
- 21/06/14 - Clougha Pike
- 13/07/14 - Kettlewell
- Venue maps
- Race Details
- Saturday 19th July - Junior Do at The Queen Katherine School, Kendal
Parents and coaches please note - under age runners will NOT be covered by FRA insurance and must not be entered in races. Neither must a competitor run in a higher age group or further than permitted by FRA rules. See Rules for Competition
Official full rules, regulations, and lists of awards for the 2014 FRA infant races can be found in the 2014 FRA Handbook, which is available to FRA members. The following extracts are only for the convenience of entrants, and should not be used as the basis for any dispute or protest.
- Under 8 and over 6 (on day of race) Boys and Girls - as of today, born between 2/1/2006 and 25/07/2008. (1 Km)
- Under 10 and over 8 Boys and Girls - born between 2/1/2004 and 1/1/2006. (2 Km)
- No points or championship medals will be awarded.
- Age Group Calculator
- Eligible competitors, who have entered 4 or more races are awarded a T-shirt.
- Those, who have completed 6 races also receive a hoody.
The 2014 tables will be updated following publication of results by each race organiser.
Please with any queries.
Each table opens in a new window. Close that window to return to this page.
The pages are interactive - you can sort and filter the data to create your own view of the championship.
Details - Site Navigation (new window).